The JHI Library
The Jewish Historical Institute Library continues the traditions initiated before World War II by the Central Judaistic Library, currently - the JHI building. Even though the Library had lost majority of its resources during the war, the remains of the pre-war collections were returned to the Institute at Tłomackie street after 1945.
Today, The Jewish Historical Institute Library owns about 80,000 volumes dedicated to broadly understood Jewish subjects, with a particular focus on the history and culture of Polish Jews. The collection includes historical and contemporary prints. An especially rich section includes literature dedicated to the Holocaust era, but we also have editions of classics of Jewish literature or Hebrew and Yiddish translations of Polish and international literature.
Research information and Reading Room
tel.: (22) 827 92 21 ext. 110, 122
Head of Department
tel.: (22) 827 92 21 ext. 120
Using the JHI Library
The collections of books and periodicals can be accessed in the Reading Room after leaving one’s signature in the library’s book of records. The originals of old prints and manuscripts are available on request, subject to the presentation of a letter of recommendation from university authorities or other research institutions.