Żydowski Instytut Historyczny
The first modern jewish school in Warsaw
90 years ago on the 19th of February 1928 the Institute for Judaic Studies was opened in Warsaw. It was “the first Jewish school in Europe with a scientific curriculum including not only theological subjects but also secular Judaic studies.”
„Beit Tfila – the House of Prayer” — official opening at the JHI
The exhibition is dedicated to the subject of the synagogue, its most important objects and functions of people – such as the rabbi, the cantor and the shammes. The exhibition is addressed at a wide audience, especially to people who haven’t been to a synagogue before, or who would like to expand their knowledge.
A valuable discovery in the Jewish Historical Institute building
Marks left by a fire, which broke out in the building of the Main Judaistic Library after the destruction of the Great Synagogue on 16 May 1943, are still visible on the floor in the main hall of the building at Tłomackie 3/5. A recent renovation revealed that it’s not the only testimony of the tragic events from over 70 years ago...