Today marks the 71st anniversary of the beginning of the liquidation of the ghetto in Płońsk. In this Masovian city, before the war, the Jews constituted even up to 73% of its population.
The topography of contemporary Płońsk does not bear traits of the existence of the borders of the Jewish ghetto. However, there are a few significant places which commemorate the fact that centuries ago the Poles and Jews lived there together. In a 1790 building located on the town’s square (Plac 15-go sierpnia 21a) there is the Dawid Ben Gurion Hall of Memory, which was opened on 1st December, 2003. The memorabilia presented there were donated by the Dawid Ben Gurion Institute in Sde Boker, where he lived and worked for the last 20 years of his life.
Another place is a square at the crossroads of Warszawska and Wspólna streets
with „Tree of Memory” and plaques commemorating the first prime minister of Israel and his family. In this place, used to stand the building where Dawid Ben Gurion was born and where he spent his childhood and youth. In 1983, in the place of the former Jewish cemetery, a monument was erected. It has an inscription: „To the Polish Jews who died and were murdered in the years 1939–1945 — the society of Płońsk.”
Postcards and sheets of paper thrown from trains heading to extermination camps are the last testimonies left by the Jews of Płońsk. They are stored in the Jewish Historical Institute as part of the Ringelblum Archive. Read more