On 21st July, during the next March of Remembrance, we wish to honor the memory of thousands of murdered Jews of Warsaw, whose tragic fate during the Holocaust will be personified by Marysia Ajzensztadt. Called the Nightingale of the ghetto, she sang operatic arias and popular songs in Yiddish on the stages of the most popular cafes in the ghetto. She was shot dead when she did not want to leave her father being taken to death.
In this year’s March we will walk from Umschlagsplatz (Stawki) to Tłomackie Street. We will return to the place where the first house of the Ajzenstadts and the Great Synagogue stood, where for years Marysia’s father, David Ajzenstadt, conducted the synagogue choir. The route of the March will run through the following streets: Stawki, Dubois, Zamenhofa, Anielewicza, Świętojerska, we will walk through Ogród Krasińskich, then Bohaterów Getta, Długa, Bielańska, Corazziego, finally getting to Tłomackie.
These streets will remind us of the history of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. We will go past the monument commemorating the place where Anielewicz’s bunker (18 Miła Street) was, walk next to the monument dedicated to Shmuel Zygielbojm. Next, in Świętojerska street we will see the monument of the borders of the ghetto and the place where one of the gates through which you could enter the ghetto was. We will walk through the Memorial Route of Jewish Martyrdom and Struggle and we will go past marks in the pavements showing the borders of the ghetto.
We will walk past Świętojerska street, which specifically relates to the Jewish Historical Institute. On the premises no. 34 probably is buried, yet undiscovered, the third part of the Ringelblum Archive.
The route of the March runs through Bohaterów Getta street, and yet very few Warsaw residents know that it is a part of pre-war Nalewki street, one of the main streets of the Jewish quarter. Although it was fairly quickly excluded from the ghetto, it is known primarily from the pre-war years. Approaching the destination of the March, we will walk past the model of Tłomackie square on which the Great Synagogue used to stand. Right next to it, we will see the only building which survived in this part of the ghetto: Lilpop’s Tenement.
The headquarters building of the Jewish Historical Institute also survived the war. It was built in 1928–1936, harmoniously referring to the neighboring Great Synagogue. It housed the Main Judaic Library and the Institute of Jewish Studies. On 21st July, 2013 we will walk a symbolic way „back” from the Umschlagplatz to the house where once the Ajzensztadts lived, in the immediate vicinity of the Great Synagogue, where their music was played.